sudapan is a project by supersudaca that pretends to bring the territorial key subjects of latin america and the caribbean into the global contemporary agenda.
endless[s]trips is a highly speculative international competition. it promotes the creation of scenarios for new urban model in massive tourism areas.
endless[s]trips is a space to rethink the relations between the local means, the tourists, the environment, the touristic operators, the state, the infrastructure, the landscape. it is an opportunity to imagine other cities, other territories and other ways of conceiving the way tourism operates in the caribbean.
the mayan riviera is the world?s fastest population growing zone. estimations for the next decade, [when hotel capacity will have reached 90 000 rooms] consider that the total population along its 140 km long coastline will be superior to 1.5 milion inhabitants. the mexican mayan riviera is by its size, dynamism and complexity, an intense and urgent case of great potential; an urban laboratory on the caribbean coast.
- the caribbean has turned into the most penetrated region by tourism worldwide.
- tourism represents the greatest source of wealth and employment generation.
- the dominating tourism category in the zone is the all-inclusive one. chains of foreign companies concentrate the travel agencies services, aerial lines, terrestrial transport, car rentals, excursions, hotels and cruises. consequently, for each dollar spent by a tourist in a all-inclusive pack, only 3 cents remain in the destiny country.
- the all-inclusive system generates an urban model of monofunctional and self-sufficient strips. but behind the walls of the resorts and the enclaves of all-inclusive exists a latent city; a city that works as support for the pleasure framework.
- how to make that the beach tourism generated urbanism - along kilometers of monofunctional character - becomes an element of potential reinterpretation?
- how to make that the latent city, disseminated behind the hotel complexes, turns into a city integrated in a balanced way to the tourism development?
- how to make that a destiny keeps being an ideal place for the tourist, considering at the same time the local population interests?
competition web site : http://www.sudapan.org/
email competition : firstname.lastname@example.org